Saturday, September 29, 2012

Week Three (and Four): Letter C

No, we didn't do D with C and I forgot about it! We were just so busy it took me two weeks to get through the letter C. The one nice thing about being on our own schedule is we can do whatever we want. I had to remind myself this week that this is suppose to be fun and engaging. This week was far from that. I think part of that was due to the letter we were doing and what I had prepared. For the letter C we looked at Cars.

Our vocabulary for the week was bumper, windshield, hood and tire. I think A already knew these words but they were good for E to learn. Our nursery rhyme was Cock Crows in the Morn. One great aspect of this week was we all enjoyed our C books for the week. We read: The Very Hungry Caterpillar and The Very Quiet Cricket both are by Eric Carle, Caps for Sale by Esphyr Slobodkina, Clickety Clack by Rob and Amy Spence, The Crook can Cook by Kelly Doudna, Over at the Castle by Boni Ashburn and Clip-Clop by Nicola Smee. E loved Clip-Clop! (I feel like we had more books. Maybe that is because A wanted me to keep reading some of the B week books to her this week. My children love to read. Now I just hope it lasts.)

We didn't get much into music this week. Hopefully, we will do better. I really wanted to play Aaron Coplands' Appalachian Spring, but like I said, it was a weird week. Maybe next time around we can try it.

For Bible time we read about Creation and our memory verse for the week was from Colossians 3:20: Children, obey your parents in all things. This proved to be much needed because we had some major obedience issues in our home this week.

For math we did number three. Again we stacked blocks and counted them. We also ordered big, bigger, biggest and small, smaller, smallest. I tried to find three of a similar object and ask A which one was which or to put them in size order. For E I asked her which one was big or small. It's Not Easy Being Big by Stephanie St.Pierre was a grat book to read while we worked on these concepts. I think A learned them for the most part. She has a little trouble with the middle sizes but that will come with more practice and time. We also looked at squares. A really already knows her shapes so I have been using this more for E as an introduction/reinforcement for her. Looking back I might change this shape to be triangle since it has three sides and this is the week we did the number three.

For science we looked at: cardinals, chrysanthemum, columbine, cougar, camel, (oh, I forgot we did sing Alice the Camel) crab and clown fish. We also read about corn this week too.

For social studies we tried to learn about Christopher Columbus but we didn't do much with that.

Wow, I really did not enjoy this week. I know part of it was because our activities were so broken up. but it is also true that: if you don't enjoy it you don't want to do it! Hopefully D will be a better week.

2 comments:

  1. Katie, this is so cool! What fun and creative things you are doing with your girls! I can't believe they are so big already... If you ever need anything, don't forget that my mom homeschooled Andrew and me for all 12 years, so she has lots of fun books and resources! :)
    Love,
    Leah Dykstal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leah,

      Thanks for the nice note and the reminder about your family. I am looking forward to homeschooling as the girls age. Hope you are doing well at school. I love reading all your enjoyable comments on FB.
      Katie

      Delete