Saturday, September 29, 2012

Week One: The Letter A

For our first week of school we looked at the letter A. Our theme for the week was apples. For our vocabulary we learned about the stem, peel, and seeds. Some of the books A enjoyed reading were The Apple Pie Tree by Zoe Hall and How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World by Marjorie Priceman (I liked them both a lot too).  I found an old poem called An Apple Pie which was enjoyable to recite with the girls.

The girls enjoyed singing songs about apples. I did a simple search and found a song the replaced BINGO for APPLE, another one about an apple tree sung to the tune of I'm a Little Tea Pot and so many others. There are so many creative people out there who have come up with such cute and imaginative songs. Of course we also sang the Johnny Apple Seed song.

For our Bible lesson we read about Adam and Eve. Our scripture verse for the week was: Psalm 145:9 The Lord is good to all.

In math we had fun walking around the house and looking for objects that were round. A and I took pictures of them and then made them into a collage. I tried to let her cut out objects from a magazine that had just one thing but instead she cut her shirt! I very quickly put the scissors away. I don't think we are ready to learn that motor skill yet.

For science we looked at an albatross, aster, antelope and abalone. I think I am going to do something different here because I don't like how this has gone. Look in the future weeks to see how this gets changed!

For social studies we read about Johnny Appleseed. A can now tell you what he did, where he was born and where he is buried!

A and E had lots of fun with art. I need to incorporate this more because it was just so much fun for both of them. We made an animal paper bag puppet. I dug out some old craft supplies for the girls to glue onto their paper bags and let them color them. They had fun talking and playing with each other. Both the girls also really enjoyed painting an apple. I drew and apple on paper and they finger painted it.

All in all we have had a great first week. I think there are some things to try differently but I would say it was a great week of learning, loads of fun and a general success! Lets bring on the letter B.

I will try and get some pictures up here soon for you to see the girls hard at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment