Friday, March 6, 2015

Letter P

Pretty like P. Our letter P was an interesting week that we had a great week of learning with. Some of the books we read this week were: Pirate Pete's Talk Like a Pirate by Kim Kennedy, Papa is a Pirate by Katharina Grossmann-Hensel, Peter Pan and The Prince and the Pauper (both of these were the Disney versions but we have read Barrie's original story of Peter Pan.)

Our poem for the week was:

I am a bird you know quite well,
All dressed in black and white.
And even though I do have wings
They're not designed for flight.
I waddle, waddle, waddle.

Our sentences for the week were:
See the pink pig?
I'm a pick pocket!
A watches popcorn pop.
The platypus eats pickles!
We will paint peacocks.
Are you a pirate?

Our Bible verse was from Romans 3:23 "All people have sinned and come short of the glory of God." We also read about Peter.

For our science time we looked at some pictures of a penguin, poppy, panda, puffer fish. We also read about a few of these animals. Macaroni Penguin by Edana Eckart, Giant Pandas by Edana Eckart and Peacocks by Mandy R. Marx were great for learning about these animals. We also learned a little bit about Pluto Dwarf Planet by Christine Taylor-Butler. Also a spaceship call New Horizons is set to arrive to Pluto this year. It might be interesting to see if I can find some pictures later from this ship!

For our social studies  time we read about Poahontas by Lola M. Schaefer and Presidents from Eyewitness Books. For the presidents book we just looked through the different presidents and I would say their names. I highlighted and went into more detail with the greater known presidents.

In math time we talked about the number 17 and pyramids. We also did a little matching game. Below are pictures. I took stickers (who doesn't have a ton of stickers with little ones??)  and put them on index cards. I also wrote the numeral and the word for the numbers on separate index cards. The girls then worked on matching up the numerals and the stickers correctly. We did 1 through 10 and then we tried 11 through 20. I then laid out the words and the girls took turns matching up their numbers to the correct words.








For our art time we made peacocks. I gave A and E coffee filters to paint with watercolors. 




I then cut out a bowling pin shape. I put eyes, a nose, and two little feet on them.



A and E then glued the peacock bodies on to the feathers they had painted.


No comments:

Post a Comment