Monday, September 30, 2013

Week 19: The Letter S

What a fun week we have had learning all about the letter S! Our theme for the week was stars. Our song was about the only thing that matched up with our theme, Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star. Our poem didn't match up with the theme but it was still great fun.


I want a fat,
Squishy, squirreling squirrel
Scolding for a chestnut
Squealing for squash seeds
A fat, squishy squirrel
Is all I want:
Only three of them -
Chip, Dale and Nylf

We had some great books that we read: Sara and Sam by Anders Hanson, My "S" Sound Box  by Jane Belk Moncure, Sunflower House by Eve Bunting, and The Sun is My Favorite Star by Frank  Asch.


We enjoyed reading about Samuel during Bible time and the scripture verse we learned was from John 10:11 "I am the good shepherd."

Our shape for math time was star. We like Stars by Sarah Schuette.

We had a great snack time enjoying star fruit. Strawberries were another fun snack we had too.



For science we looked at swans, Star of Bethlehem, seals, skunk, and starfish. A and E enjoyed learning about Seals by Colleen Sexton. We also learned about our senses. The Five Senses by Carey Molter was a great starting place before we explored on our own.We started off using our ears by listening to some instruments. I had A and E close their eyes and then I played a tambourine, a triangle and bells. I had them tell me what they heard. We played I spy for our sight. Then we had lots of fun using our noses, mouth and hands to learn about the rest of our senses.

E smelling lemon juice. We also smelled vanilla and vinegar. 

A and E tasting. We tasted sugar, salt and lemon juice.
E and A touching. We felt this soft piece of material, sand paper and a comb. I had them close their eyes and try to guess wheat they were feeling.

Our social studies time was spent learning about Sitting Bull by Susan Evento.

We were going to make sheep during art time but A made one in Sunday school so we switched it to a snake. I outlined a snake on the inside of a paper grocery bag. Then A and E used finger paints to color their snakes.


For our outing for the week we went to the playground where we enjoyed the slides and swings! Hope you have a great learning time with your little ones too.

No comments:

Post a Comment