Saturday, August 31, 2013

Week 15: Letter O


After many weeks of taking time off for the summer and vacation we restarted school a few weeks ago. But, we have been busy with other things...we are getting ready to have our third baby! Yup, we will add another little one to our wonderful world. So, in an effort to catch up with our lessons that we have been doing lets jump right in.

We did the letter O a few weeks ago and we looked at oceans. Our vocab words for the week were: wave, reef and beach. Our poem for the week was "Once I Saw an Octopus." We really enjoyed this poem because it had hand motions to go with it.

Once I saw an octopus
In the deep blue sea. (Point downward)
I called, "Mr. Octopus,
Won't you swim with me?" (Cup hands around mouth)
Then out came his tentacles,
So very long and straight, (extend eight fingers.)
One and two and three and four,
Five and six and seven and eight. (count on fingers.)

I don't remember many of the books we had because it was so long ago. I do know that we read Ox-Cart Man by  Donal Hall. I usually find the letter alphabet books by Jane Belk Moncure, so I imagine we used My O Sound Box too.

For our Bible time our verse was - John 5:3 This is love for God: to obey his commands.

In math time we talked about octagons. We practiced drawing and counting the sides. We also used some foam pieces I have to make an octagon along with a rectangle, triangle, square and hexagon. We also practiced saying opposites. I would say off and then A and E would say on, or vice versa. I tried to think of many as I could: up and down, high and low, hot and cold, open and closed, etc.

Our science time looked at ostriches, an ochagavia flower, otters, and octopus. We found a book on otters that A and E liked to read a lot too.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment